(More of) Your December Questions Answered

Michael Bradley (ISIPhotos.com)

Good afternoon all. If you're looking for some Christmas day reading, here is the latest installment of the SBI Old School Q&A, with the second batch of answers.

I cover subjects ranging from what the best USA midfield is, to Michael Bradley's next step after this season, to what my own allegiances are as a soccer fan.

Check out some more answers to the December Q&A after the jump:

Brian - in the early days of most sports teams relocated all the time. In the mls they seem to want to not do that and try and succeed at the current city do you think thats a wise choice.

IVES- I dont think MLS wants to make it easy for teams to up and leave established markets if they dont have to, but I dont think MLS is completely against it. San Joses team moved to Houston and D.C. United is at least considering Baltimore as an option for a new stadium.

----------------

Seisco- Would mls ever consider having the top 8 teams in the league make the playoffs, regardless of conference?

IVES- That pretty much happens now under the most recent format because its very tough to have seven teams from one conference to have better records than all but one team in another conference.

----------------

Dave- The US has developed a number of high quality goalies, some good defenders and a current logjam of midfielders. However, quality forwards are few and far between. Is this the luck of the draw or a fundamental development issue in US soccer?

IVES- Im not sure the USA has ever really had a plethora of good strikers so you can argue the development system in this country has struggled to develop good finishers and playmakers. That said, the upcoming crop of strikers, with Jozy Alt! idore, J uan Agudelo and Teal Bunbury is very encouraging

----------------

RLW2020- which club would be the best fit for Mike Bradley either at the January window or over the summer?

same question for Germany Jones..

IVES- Bradley wont be moving this winter. His club is in a relegation fight and cant afford to sell one of its best players. As for this summer? Ive said for some time that Bradley would be well-suited to play in England.

I think the same can be said for Jones. Liverpool could use a player like Jones.

----------------

Dennis- What would need to change about MLS to permit a player like Anthony Ampaipitatkwong succeed there? Less lenient referees, more skilled teammates, more emphasis on possesssion,...

IVES- I wouldnt say anything needs to change for Ampai to do well in MLS. Plenty of small creative players have flourished in MLS and I happen to think Ampai is tough enough to handle himself well on the next level. What I would say is that MLS now, compared to ten years ago, is a much less physical league. Thats not to say its at a La Liga level of creative player protection, but I dont think the league keeps certain types of players from succeeding.

----------------

Mike- It seems like the plan with three midfielders(Jones,Bradley,Edu) for two spots is to move Maurice Edu back to Central defense. Would it make sense instead to move Michael Bradley back to central defense?

IVES- Edu is more suited to play central defense than Bradley, who has never played at centerback. I think a Holden, Bradley, Jones triangle is the best option right now, with Edu playing in central defense.

I know some folks dont like that idea, but I think with time Edu could be an effective centerback. Now, if Oguchi Onyewu finds a new club this winter, and Clarence Goodson flourishes at Brondby, then that could be the centerback pairing for the Gold Cup (with! Carlos Bocanegra at left back).

----------------

Bob- Should Dallas sign DF to a DP spot and what does Dallas need to do to repeat and win the cup this time?

IVES- It appears that Dallas signed Ferreira without a DP spot, which is pretty impressive. What does Dallas need? A striker is probably at the top of the list of needs, but FCD is pretty stacked with talent otherwise.

----------------

Paul- Now that the furor over the voting has died own (at least for now), what is your estimate of the probability that the World Cup finals will actually be played in Qatar in 2022? Are recent public statements coming out of Europe concerning the possibility of shifting the finals to January and/or having other Gulf nations host some of the matches cause for concern?

IVES- I think the 2022 World Cup will happen in Qatar, but the talk about a winter World Cup and having games in other countries is DEFINITELY a cause for concern.

----------------

Hey look!- Why is Rutgers so down? Shouldn't they be dominating the NCAA? I don't even think they are the third best team in their own state.

IVES- Many would put the blame on former coach Bob Reasso, who never took full advantage of the wealth of talent in New Jersey and did a poor job as a head coach. Dan Donigan has been head coach for a year so its too early to tell whether he will be able to turn things around.

----------------

Jimmy- Isn't the best current central midfield pairing for the US national team would be Jermaine Jones and Stuart Holden?

What needs to happen for Coach Sweats to go this route?

IVES- I think the best lineup is a 4-2-3-1 with Holden, Bradley and Jones playing centrally. Id bet on Bob Bradley going with this group against Egypt, assuming theyre all healthy and Jones has found a new club situation.

----------------

Wyofan< /strong>- What's the likelihood Dempsey moves during this coming transfer window or even this summer?

IVES- Cant see it this winter because Fulham needs him for the relegation battle. I do think Fulham will lose Dempsey if the Cottagers are relegated, and may lose him even if they stay up.

----------------

ProstheticPuppy- I don't buy the whole, I'm just a big fan of soccer and don't support any particular team. Being a psychologist I realize the importance of neutrality, and in most situations, I can see the advantages of not voicing your true feelings. By remaining faceless you don't stand the chance of distancing yourself from some members of your audience. Do you find it difficult to closet your true feelings about particular teams? I gather that you are a USMNT fan, a NYRB fan, and a huge Barcelona fan.

Last time I checked, you are not running for political office. I know that many readers, including myself, would like to hear your true feelings of support or disgust for other teams, coaches, etc. The reporter cap can come off every once in awhile. Just something to keep in mind. It is your blog and you can do whatever you want to do. The comprehend the professional integrity you work so hard to uphold, but lets face it, you leak out how you feel all the time when commenting toward others ridiculous comments.

IVES- You might not believe it but the fact is I dont have a favorite MLS team nor am I a U.S. national team fan. I didnt brainwash myself when I became a writer, I simply didnt have the ties when I began writing so it was easy to not root for any of the teams. The same goes for the U.S. national team.

That doesnt mean I think its wrong for other writers to have ties or be fans, but I dont have that issue. Now, being a New York beat writer I certainly developed closer relationships with New York players and coaches through the years, but that didnt turn me into a fan. If anything, knowing ! how thin gs run on the inside and how people really are makes it that much tougher to develop attachments. Kind of like the old saying of If you know how the sausage is made youll never eat it.

Are there teams I like watching? Sure. Id say Barcelona and Manchester United have been teams Ive grown to enjoy watching more than other European clubs. Doesnt mean Im rocking scarfs or rooting for them, but I enjoy watching them play.

As for the U.S. national team, I would say I have felt some emotional reaction in certain circumstances because, lets face it, this is my countrys team, but I also dont have that long-held attachment to the team so I dont get caught up in what happens. If the team loses I dont get upset about it, but I can admit that Ive been pretty pumped while covering certain matches (2002 World Cup match vs. Portugal and last summers Algeria match come to mind as two where I came away very impressed and glad to see them do well).

Im sure things would be different if I had been an MLS fan or U.S. national team fan before I began writing a dozen years ago, but I suppose not having that background has allowed me to remain impartial and provide a clearer perspective on American soccer.

----------------

DC Josh- Is the current Barcelona squad the best you've ever seen?

IVES- Im not convinced its better than the Barcelona team from two years ago just yet. Lets see how they do in the rest of the year before we call them the best ever. You could argue theyre more fun to watch, but its only been a half season.

----------------

Arnold Mcelroy- Does Michael Bradley stick with Monchengladback when they are relegated or does he find a new team?

IVES- No way. If they are relegated hell be sold. Hell have just one more year on his deal so BM would risk losing him for nothing a year later.

----------------



World Soccer News | Video | Podcast | Gallery | Live Streaming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hottest Tour de France 2010 Podium Girls

Kolbeinn Sigthorsson scores 5 as AZ Alkmaar smash Venlo 6-1

The 25 Hottest NFL Cheerleaders